Since blood is the lifeline of every individual, it is vital that the blood remains disease free. However, several times, this does not hold true and many individuals end up becoming patients for some or the other medical complication of blood. Thankfully, the domain of hematology exists to help with the same. So, let’s have a detailed understanding of hematology along with several of the diagnostic tests.
Hematology is the branch of medical science that focuses on the study and composition of blood, the organs that produce blood and the diseases of the blood. Specialists practicing in hospitals in Kolkata in the domain of hematology is called a hematologist. They deal with the diagnosis and treatment of any and all kind of blood abnormality and colocation. It ranges from anemia to blood clot to blood cancer.
The following tests are done under the domain of Hematology–
- Blood film- blood is smeared over the glass slide, stained with dye and observed under microscope. It reveals the count, shape and any abnormality of blood cells. It is a very common procedure for sickle cell diseases.
- Blood count- it reveals the total count of blood components, red blood cells, white blood cells and plates
- Blood staining detect the presence of blood pathogens such as toxoplasmosis, malaria and dirofilariasis.
- Assessment and analysis of bone marrow and granulocytosis
- Assessment of immature platelets and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)
- Electrophoresis- examine the blood protein such as hemoglobin and check for sickle cell anemia or thalassemia.
- Karyotyping- evaluate any possible chromosomal or genetically abnormalities
- Immunocytochemistry- detect the presence of antigen both in and on the surface of blood cells.
- diascopy – evaluates if the lesion is hemorrhagic, vascular or non-vascular.
- Sleep biopsy and
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of tumors and lymph nodes.
- Evaluate stage of anemia along with the levels of iron content, vitaminB12, ferritin and folate.
- coomb’s test- also known as antiglobulin tests to evaluate blood type, and to match blood prior to transfusion.
- prothrombin time- evaluate the function of bleeding and coagulation
- D-dimer test- to diagnose any thrombotic disorders
- Analyzing diseases such as Niemann-Pick disease, Gaucher’s disease, myeloproliferative disease and also hemophagocytic syndromes
Though nowadays, several pathology centers and hospitals in Kolkata are providing the hematology diagnosis, it is recommended to always go with the ones having a repute in this domain, who uses the cutting edge technology for it.